Even if you don’t need to lose weight — read more and see if it will help you sleep better, feel better or increase athletic performance.
When others ask me, these are my highlights of why I will continue a Primal, nutritional ketosis lifestyle, and why I recommend others try it:
- Incredible, deep, restful sleep – my sleep improved early on before I lost much weight; now I usually get up without an alarm and I feel great.
- Constant stream of energy throughout the day, regardless of the timing of my last meal…I usually fast 12 – 20 hours several times a week, usually before exercise – I recently did three hours of powerlifting and bicycling after a 20 hour fast…just to see if I could – I felt great.
- Mental focus consistent through entire day regardless of meal timing.
- I lost 115 pounds on the scale in about a year, but more importantly, I have lost over 12 inches off my waist size; I am back to the same college and high school clothing size.
- My headaches/migraines are gone! I’m off medicines for them. The relief of living without headaches makes everything better and this alone would be enough for me to recommend Primal.
- I can still enjoy wine with friends – I stopped drinking beer and mixed drinks with carbs, but continued red wine with meals and whisky or wine on social occasions.
- Neck, ankle, hip, and knee joint pains have disappeared – they went away rapidly, before most of the weight loss – makes me think that the inflammation was due to diet more than wear and tear from carrying extra weight.
- Acne and oily skin has decreased 95% – never this close to normal ever in my life.
- Years of scaly, cracked feet have completely resolved spontaneously; a massage therapist accused me of having a pedicure and exfoliation and having the best feet she has seen on a 40 year old man – I had not done anything other than shower.
- My shoe size has decreased – I was size 11eee or 12 all my adult life. Now I’m 11 regular.
- Two golf ball size sebaceous cysts on my back spontaneously dissolved in a few weeks.
- Triglycerides lowered from very high levels down to 50 now.
- LDL and small LDL particle size falling from very high to normal.
- HDL from 30s to the 60s with low amount of exercise.
- Fasting glucose from high 90s (pre-diabetes) down to low 80s (normal).
- I had elevated ALT and AST most of my adult life – now liver function tests are normal.
- For over 15 years I had episodic gastric reflux, stomach distention and constipation – this has completely resolved.
The majority of my 100 pound weight loss occurred while I was not exercising at all. I started exercising recently in the fall of 2012 (AFTER most of my weight loss). Despite plateaus of staying at the same weight for many weeks at a time, I have continually decreased my clothing size each month – I continue to gain strength, vascularity and muscular definition.
It has been a busy spring and summer for my family and I — I seemed to have lost my blog and have to start from scratch here.
www.garytaubes.com — read his books – that is where I started
www.marksdailyapple.com — lots of info here, lots to read, great books also – Food and exercise plans
www.eatingacademy.com — further support and understanding of Nutritional Ketosis and high performance exercise
NUSI.org more info to pass the message on
books by Phinney and Volek on Low Carbohydrate living and Low Carbohydrate Perfomance